Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ella Cristina

Ella Cristina joined our family March 4, 2013 at 1:16pm. 

It was a wonderful experience. Around 10am we dropped London off at her daycare. We had a scheduled c-section and arrived to the hospital at 10:30 for a 12:30 surgery.

We cruised through admitting got our wristbands and checked into Labor and Delivery.

 Labor and Delivery handed me a gown and got me prepped for surgery including; more q and a's, blood draws and an placed an I.V. on my right wrist. I met with my Doctor and the anesthesiologist. My mom came to the hospital around noon and brought us a new tape for the video camera (saved the day). 

Cohen put on his surgical attire and they wheeled me into the O.R. and started my epidural. Quite the experience especially when they "hit a nerve" while placing it. Twice. It basically made my left leg kick like a horse. It hurt but the pain didn't last long. I remember feeling like the epidural was more painful the second time but its probably because I wasn't feeling any labor pains this time.

Cohen came in and got the video camera rolling and it wasn't long before we heard them announce that our daughter was on her way. When she cried Cohen had a look of pure joy in his eyes. We looked at each other and just had the biggest smiles. He watched as they delivered her and took her to the table for the assessments. She scored high on her APGAR they said a 9 and a 10. This was excellent news especially after the hard time that London had when she was born. Cohen got to "cut" the cord and be right there for all the cleaning and checks. Then he came with the team as they showed her to me for the first time. 




For me when I see a baby that I have carried with me for 9+ months, that I have felt move, kick, spin and roll - and has truly shared my breaths - its a life changing moment. I believe it is special and unique for each parent who gets that honor. Most likely one of my favorite moments in life.
She was born at 1:16pm a healthy 6lbs, 14 ounces, and 20 inches long.

Post Delivery Euphoria.....
There is something that has now happened to me twice. I didn't write it down after London was born so I forgot about it until it happened with Ella. As I am laying on the OR table post delivery - and baby and Cohen have left the room - I get hit with the CRAZIEST feeling. I can only describe it as euphoria. Webster's dictionary defines it as : a feeling of well being or elation. Related words exaltation, blessedness, bliss, delight, enchantment, etc. This time I asked the anesthesiologist if there was something in my IV that was causing this feeling. It seems to me its so strong it must be drug-induced. His reply was there wasn't anything being added. I lay on the table and stare out the window and I almost feel as though I am floating. My whole body is on fire with love and excitement. And all I can muster is a long stare out the window to the sky. If you could bottle it and sell it, you would be the richest person to ever live. 

Naming our daughter
This was not an easy thing to do. Around 9pm we selected Ella Cristina. We loved the name Ella and Cristina is for my Great Grandmother Cristina Castillo. She was a dear grandmother to my Dad and he has shared many wonderful memories of her. Ella and I share her middle name.

Visitors
We had so many wonderful visits by our loved ones. I forgot to get out my camera each time but I got some nice pictures of a few who stopped by.




 







No comments:

Post a Comment